Fourth and Cedar
"The Rev. Thomas G. Watson, a Presbyterian missionary from Waukesha, Wisc., stepped off the train in Spokane Falls, as Spokane was then known, in 1883 to start a new church in the dusty frontier town of 1,500... meeting in various downtown buildings..." (REF 2.)
One of these was the Bank of Spokane Falls. In 1884 they moved because the bank needed the office space. (REF 1.)
"... a new First Presbyterian Church was dedicated in December 1886 at the corner of Riverside Avenue and Monroe Street. The cost: $3,200. Amid a real estate boom, the church was sold in 1889 for $21,000..." (REF 2.)
"The congregation's first edifice of its own, erected 1886, where the Spokesman- Review building now stands, served the members until early 1889 when it was sold for $21,000 in a booming real estate market.
"The second building, dedicated Dec. 21, 1890, was located at the south-east corner of Second and Jefferson Streets. Church officers considered it a temporary place of worship since they envisioned a "magnificent stone church" to be built on an eligible site.
"Interior of Second and Jefferson church. It was fitted out with 535 opera chairs. The congregation worshipped here until 1910. (REF 1.)
The new stately stone church that is used today was built at Fourth and Cedar and dedicated June 12, 1910. (REF 1.)
The sanctuary arches around the distinctive exposed organ pipes at the back of the chancel. Below the pipes are the chairs for the choir. A large stained glass window is on the wall to the right of the pipes and a decorative screen on the wall to the left. The red draped area of the chancel in the photo below held the bells for the bell ringing choir that was playing to celebrate Easter. The curved communion rail is below that. The pews are banked with side aisles. Large stained glass windowa also are on the east wall on the main floor and the south wall of the balcony. (See bottom photo.) Adjacent to the sanctuary on the west, below the wooden screen, is a room that can be opened for additional seating.
Thank you: To the ushers and women in the church library for their help.
Photos: Taken on Easter Sunday, April 8, 2012 by SW.
Also from Reference 1. below.
REFERENCE 1: Many Lamps, One Light, A Centennial History 1883-1983
First Presbyterian Church, Spokane, Washington.
REFERENCE 2: The Spokasman-Review, February 20, 2012, page 5, 'Review Tower, Newspaper's home replaced Presbyterian church'.