USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier-Chapel
- Earned 9 battle stars for her service in WWII
- Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for her WWII operations (only nine carriers so cited).
- Flawlessly recovered the Apollo 11 space capsule and the first men to walk on the moon. A few months later, she also recovered the Apollo 12 capsule and its all-Navy crew; 1969
- USS Hornet (CVS-12) is designated a National Historic Landmark; 1991
- Hornet opens to the public as an aircraft carrier museum in Alameda, California; 1998
- USS Hornet is designated a State Historic Landmark; 1999.
- The F/A-18 strike fighter carries on the name of Hornet in today's NAVY." (Link 2.)
Link 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hornet_Museum
Link 2: http://www.uss-hornet.org/history/heritage/index.shtml
Link 3: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/23/news/la-trb-memorial-day-uss-hornet-20130522
Link 4: http://www.uss-hornet.org/calendar/upcoming/