Sunday, May 15, 2016

Our History
1330 Lakeshore Avenue
(Yahoo Images)

Lake Merritt United Methodist Church
Oakland, California

"Part of the Oakland geologic map showing Lake Merritt and surrounding geologic units"
(Link 4.)

"Lake Merritt is a large tidal lagoon in the center of Oakland, California, just east of Downtown. It is surrounded by parkland and city neighborhoods. It is historically significant as the United States' first official wildlife refuge, designated in 1870, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1966." (Link 3.)

"In June, 1984, two churches with long histories in central Oakland, First United Methodist Church, and St. Stephens United Methodist Church, merged to create Lake Merritt United Methodist Church.           
"On July 4, 1981, the First United Methodist Church building caught fire for unknown cause, and was mostly destroyed, although some of the contents and stained glass windows were rescued. (The saved figural design stained glass windows are installed in light boxes in the hallway of the lower level of the church. Several of the geometrical design windows are installed in the Administrative Office hallway.)

Tiffany Panel

" An invitation was extended by the St. Stephens United Methodist to combine the two Methodist churches for worship services and program.
"Soon merger conversations began, making the decision in 1984 to go ahead,...The name, “Lake Merritt United Methodist Church” was selected and the property at 1330 Lakeshore Ave., Oakland, on the eastern shore of Lake Merritt was purchased..      
"Architect Terrill Wade, of the firm Gillis, Judson, and Wade, designed the new building... The completed building was Hallowed on March 21, 1991, 

church bldg  
Lake Merritt United Methodist Church 
(Yahoo Images)     
"The western main entrance of the building at 1330 Lakeshore Ave., features a colored granite grand staircase. The sanctuary’s floor to ceiling windows frame a beautiful view of the lake and downtown Oakland. The northern wall is nearly completely covered by a triptych of three glass mosaic panels entitled “Te Deum Laudamus” (We Praise You, Lord) constructed under the direction of Louis Comfort Tiffany in about 1920." (Link 1.)

Thank you: To Rob Herrmann, Congregational Administrator, Lake Merritt 
               United Methodist Church
Link 1: 2:
Link 3:
Link 4:


God, be with persecuted Christians throughout the world. Amen (SW.)

No comments:

Post a Comment