The Community United Methodist Church at 418 Evans Street sits two blocks north of the Gazebo in the center square of the Bavarian style town of Leavenworth, Washington. It has been there for over 100 years.
"1907: Rev. Melvin Rumohr arrived on Memorial Day to organize a
Methodist church in Leavenworth.
First service held a few weeks later with 20 people received
Sunday School began two months before his arrival, with five teachers
and nearly 40 children attending.
Annual conference held in September. Church incorporated as
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Leavenworth, WA.
Land purchased as building site for a church. Rev. Rumohr bought
adjacent lots and built a home for his family.
1908: Methodist Episcopal Ladies Aid Society organized.
Choir organized by Mrs. Martel, a fine organist.
Church built, at Evans and Whitman Streets. First services held Dec. 9.
1909: Church dedicated June 10, one of three Methodist churches in the
valley dedicated that day. Others in Peshastin and Cashmere.
Organ purchased. Bell installed in the belfry.
1912: Parsonage built.
1929: First women pastors appointed: Bertha Reich and Winifred Dove.
1946-49: Four lots purchased at Evans and Summit Streets for new, larger
church. Existing house on the land became the new parsonage.
Church construction took three years; Rev. Rumohr was on the
building can be dedicated).
1959: Golden Jubilee of the church celebrated (50 years after dedication of
first church). Rev. Rumohr participated.
1969: New parsonage purchased.
1986: Church exterior stuccoed.
1997: Celebrated 50th anniversary of laying the cornerstone of present church building.
2006: Lift installed for handicap access.
2007: Celebration of Centennial Year." (See Link.)
Thank you: To Jane, church historian, for reference to history of Community United Methodist Church.
Photos: Taken in November 2010 and October 2011 by SW.
For more information on Leavenworth, Washington see these Blog Posts at
Saturday Travel Feature, "The Gazebo", November 6, 2010.
Saturday Travel Feature, "FestHalle", November 13, 2010
and at "Churches on Sundays" Blog, "St. Joseph's Catholic Church",
January 1, 2012.