Sunday Church Feature
St. Joseph Catholic Church
Leavenworth, Washington is a town in north central Washington State that reinvented itself as a Bavarian tourist destination when its lumber industry died. The landscape of high mountains gave the setting and the citizens added facades and paintings to their buildings to transform the town into this Alpine delight. Some even incorporated some of the original heritage buildings of the area. One of those was the hotel Pension Anna.
In 1992 the owners of Pension Anna moved the abandoned St. Joseph's Catholic Church to their site one block south of the Front Street. Here they added it to their hotel space and named it the Old Chapel Suite.
The church building is distinctive with its Russian onion shaped steeple. A painting of St. Joseph decorates the south exterior wall of the church. It was original built at the north east corner of Evans and Cascade Streets, an area known as Leavenworth Gardens, in 1910. The building was "26 by 38 with a vestibule and tower at the entrance. Sacristy, 14 X16, will be located opposite the entrance. Cost approximately $2000. (The Sacristy is presumable the small structure attached at the rear of the building.)... church received a handsome altar from Seattle...1913 The bell arrives, largest in town, weighing nearly 1000 pounds..the church bell now (2010) resides in Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church at 145 Wheeler St., Leavenworth." (Reference.)