Sunday, May 6, 2012

                                                                                               May 6, 2012

Unitarian Universalist Church
4330 West Fort George Wright Drive

Unitarian Universalist Church 
Spokane, Washington

"Unitarian Universalism is a caring, open-minded religion that encourages you to seek your own spiritual path. Our faith draws on many religious traditions, welcoming people with different beliefs. We are united by shared values, not by creed or dogma. Our congregations are places where people gather to nurture their spirits and put their faith into action by helping to make our communities—and the world—a better place." (Link 1.)

The Unitarian Universalist Church on West Fort George Wright Drive in Spokane Washington consists of two large buildings joined by a reception building.  Bridging the two large buildings is the sign "Enter. Rejoice. Come In.  All Are Welcome Here". The three decorative doors under the sign were designed by  Harold Balazs. (Link 3.) This is the entrance to the reception area. 

Front Doors of Church

The building on the east is the sanctuary/fellowship hall at the south end and with a chapel at the end of the hall in the north end. The worship area is at the south end of the sanctuary/fellowship hall.  The vertical fabric banner that is on the center wall of the worship area was made by the local artist Louise Kodis. (Link 4.)  The metal  circular candle holder to the left of it was made by  Harold Balazs. 

South end of Sanctuary/Fellowship Hall

Harold Balazs made many of the decorative elements of the church: the front doors, the high row of windows in the chapel,  a metal candelabra for the worship area, and the metal light standards on the path leading from the parking lot to the church.  The building on the west side  is the education wing.

"The First Unitarian Society of Spokane Falls was born in 1887 with 20 people 
signing the charter that formally organized them as a congregation...

Their first service was held at the YMCA hall on Front and Howard....

"The debt on the church building, located on Jefferson and Sprague, was cleared by 1903 and plans were made to add a Sunday school and Parish House...Services were eventually moved to the Clemmer Theater (Currently, the Bing Crosby Theater).  The parish on Jefferson and Sprague deteriorated and was eventually condemned and torn down... from 1921 to 1924....  the Society had over 400 members...
Sunday service attendance dwindled to an average of 58 in 1936...

"The Society purchased the Welch House (Known today at the Glover 
House, built in 1888 and designed by architect Kirtland Cutter, see Blog Post 4/29/12) and became the First Unitarian Church of Spokane. (circa 1945)...

File:Glover House.JPG
321 West 8th Street  (Link 2.)

 A contemporary chapel, designed by member Moritz Kundig was built during these  years...." (Link 1.)  This chapel was built in 1960 (Link 5.) in front of the Glover Mansion, as can be seen in the photo below.  "Membership was at 220 (in 1972)...." (Link 1.)

Contemporary Chapel by Moritz Kundig.

"The new Church on Fort  George Wright Drive was dedicated March of 1995." (Link 1.) The chapel on the north end of the Sanctuary/Fellowship Hall building was completed in 2011.

2011 Chapel

The large north window open the room to the park like campus of the       church.The high row of west facing decorative windows were designed by Harol Balazs.  

2011 Chapel Windows

On the east side of the church campus is the newly established  Meditation Garden. 
Meditation Garden

The congregation of the Unitarian Universality Church now numbers 365.

Thank you: To congregation member Nancy Avery for a tour and information.
Photos: Taken in March 2012 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:

No comments:

Post a Comment