Tofino, British Columbia
"St. Columba Anglican Church sits at the corner of Second and Main Streets tucked behind trees and rhododendrons. The property, consisting of two lots, was purchased for $100, with money that came from people in the community. Records of these pledges are shown in the minutes from a meeting of the Westcoast Mission, dated March 16, 1911.
"The church was built in 1913 with funds sent from England and the instructions to build a church “on the most beautiful spot on Vancouver Island” in the memory of Francis Beresford Wright.
"Rev. George Aitkens was appointed to design and build the church in the style of one he had previously built at Shawnigan Lake. The church was built on cedar posts, a style common to the coast. In 1967 a cement block foundation was put in.
"The rhododendrons were planted in 1925.
"Some of the earliest weddings at the church, performed by the first minister, Rev. L. A. Todd, were those of Nancy Shanker to Sofus Arnet (Dec. 30th, 1913) and Jack MacLeod to Jennie Grice.
"The Church is open to the public for viewing on certain days of the week, check the sign." (See Link 1.)
Photo: Taken in Tofino, B.C. in 2005 by SW.
For Interior Photos See Link 1: http://marnierecker.com/tofino_photography_wedding_portrait/2011/08/desirae-corey-tofino-wedding-photography/
Link 2: http://www.tofinotime.com/articles/A-T702-09frm.htm