The first Christ Episcopal Church was built in Blaine in 1890. It faced 4th Street at the southeast corner of 4th and D streets. The combined chapel and rectory seated 75. In 1892 the value of the church property was $2000. In 1904 this property was sold and the new church at on Boblett was built. (REF.)
The 1904 church was built in the Arts and Crafts design. "Red cedar shingles cut in Blaine cover the exterior of Christ Church and its fellowship hall.... The shingles originally had a green stain ... The narrow Tudor upper brackets on the porches, the roof with the flared eaves, and the gable overhang shaped by the narthex window are also Craftsman characteristics. (REF.)
Christ Episcopal Church is also part of the early history of Saint Innocent Orthodox Christian Church in Everson, Washington (about 20 miles east of Blaine). "The parish that became St. Innocent's had its beginnings at another church. In the late 1980s, the congregation of St. Herman of Alaska Russian Orthodox Church in Langley, British Columbia included several Americans who regularly commuted across the border to attend services. As the American parishioners got to know each other, they developed the idea of founding their own parish on the American side of the border. Two major obstacles immediately presented themselves: the congregation had no building to worship in, and they were not recognized as a parish and thus did not have permission to serve liturgy.
"The first obstacle was temporarily resolved when Christ Episcopal Church in Blaine allowed the group to worship in their building. The parish began serving vespers on Wednesday nights in that location in March of 1990. (They continued to commute up to St. Herman's for Divine Liturgy.) Official parish status took a little more time, but in the end, the congregation's patience was rewarded. On June 14, 1992 (Pentecost Sunday) Father Mel celebrated the first Divine Liturgy. 15 people, 10 adults and five children, were present. After consideration, the parish took St. Innocent as their patron. St. Innocent was a great American saint, a man of many talents and almost inexhaustible drive and energy. It would take that kind of drive, the parishioners felt, to build the tiny parish into a thriving community.
"The parish continued to worship at Christ Episcopal Church for almost four more years. During that time, the size of the parish grew and parishioners began to seek out a more permanent location. Although grateful for the generosity of Christ Episcopal Church, the Orthodox congregation had to admit that sharing space was inconvenient. The Orthodox had to wait until the Episcopalian service was completed to celebrate Divine Liturgy; often this meant that Liturgy would not begin until 11 or 11:30 in the morning. Furthermore, the service had to be "portable." The parishioners had to set up and take down their icons and other liturgical items each service.
In January of 1996, the parish moved..." (Link 2.)
Thank you: To the congregation members who gave me the reference booklet and a tour of the church.