Cloverdale, B.C. Canada
| 5757 176th Street|
"In 1891, the Cloverdale Presbyterian Church (5757 176th Street) was the tallest building in Cloverdale. In 1925, the United Church of Canada was formed with the combined congregations of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Services were held in the original Presbyterian Church for about 25 years.
"At this time, a new Cloverdale United Church was opened in April 2, 1950, on Bond Street (17553 58A Avenue). The bell tower on the church had gothic windows, which have since been removed and replaced by a false front."
"The Cloverdale United Church is a stucco-clad Gothic Revival-inspired church with a later bell tower and spire at the southeast corner. Its height and massing, combined with its prominent location adjacent to the Cloverdale by-pass on a slight rise, make this a local landmark. (The church is the the directly to the west of the jog in the Pacific Highway that then heads directly to the Pacific Boarder Crossing.) The church is situated within a context of single-family residential housing, an asphalt parking lot and a playground, and there are several significant trees on the site.
"Built in 1949-50, Cloverdale United Church is valued as a good and late example of the persistence of the Gothic Revival style, and as a transitional example of the influence of Modern architecture. While the traditional influence is seen in the Gothic pointed-arched windows, steeply pitched gabled roof and bell tower with spire, the influence of modernism may be seen in the plain smooth walls and overall lack of applied ornamentation.
- prominent location situated on a slight rise on a corner lot, with significant
- continuous use as a church since the time of construction
- ecclesiastical form, scale and massing as expressed by its one-storey plus
- concrete foundation and wood-frame construction with stucco-clad
pointed-arch windows, leaded windows, pegged wooden front doors with
original hardware and front entrance with pointed-arch opening
- additional exterior elements such as its partially inset bell tower with
pyramidal bellcast roof, rectangular nave with transepts and plain wooden
containing operable pivotal insets on the side elevations; pointed-arch
stained glass window with floral motif on the front elevation; and leaded,
multi-paned double-hung wooden-sash window
- original interior features, including: chamfered-profile nave ceiling with
applied acoustical tiles: cantilevered balcony; fir woodwork such as pews,
wainscoting, and door and window trim; halfpace stair in narthex with fir
balustrade; hanging glass globe ceiling fixtures; chancel opening with
impressed design and coved ceiling in chancel; and Gothic
arched detailing used for the chancel niche, panelling, pulpit,
lectern and railing
Both Hazelmere United Church (See May 5, 2013 Blog Post.) and Cloverdale United Church are served by the same pastor.
Photos: Taken in February 2013 by SW.
Link 1: http://www.itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=11&domain=1&webdir=cloverdale
Link 2: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=5691