"Blaine is a city in Whatcom County, Washington, United States. The city's northern boundary is the Canadian border. Blaine is the shared home of the Peace Arch international monument. The population was 4,684 at the 2010 census.
"The area was first settled in the mid-19th century by pioneers who established the town as a seaport for the west coast logging and fishing industries, and as a jumping off point for prospectors heading to British Columbia's gold fields....The city has a "turn-of-the-century" theme, marked by remodeled buildings and signs resembling designs that existed during the late 19th century and early 20th century.
"The world's largest salmon cannery was operated by the Alaska Packer's Association for decades in Blaine; the cannery site has been converted to a waterfront destination resort on Semiahmoo Spit.... Several saw mills once operated on Blaine's waterfront, and much of the lumber was transported from its wharves and docks to help rebuild San Francisco following the 1906 fire there." (See Link 1.)
(Note 1960's Parish Hall addition)
(West side, exterior)
(Exterior, west side)
Reference: The Northwest Corner Catholic Community. Thank you to Meg
at the office at St. Joseph's for this publication.
Link 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine,_Washington
Link 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Anne