Sisters of the Child Jesus-Convent Chapel
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Much of the origins of the Convent Chapel of the Sisters of the Child Jesus is told in blueprints on file at the North Vancouver Archives.
"The sisters of the Child Jesus founded in 1667, came to Canada from Le Puy France in 1896. ...(they) came to the West Coast of Canada.
"The Sisters came at the request of Paul Durieu, omi, Bishop of New Westminster. ...four came to North Vancouver to establish what became known as St. Paul's School.
"In 1897 the Sisters of the Child Jesus bought five city blocks of land in North Vancouver from the government. St. Paul's residential school was built on this site... (approximately where the Convent Annex and St. Thomas Aquinas High School parking lot now are.)
"In 1910 ...for a dollar the Sisters sold the land needed to build St. Edmund's Catholic Church... In 1911 the Sisters built St. Edmund's School and in 1949 sold it to the Archdioceses of Vancouver. The present Convent (Originally built as the regional headquarters of the Sisters of the Child Jesus.) was built in 1932. (The Building Permit was for a $3600 building.) ...in 1961 the Annex was added on to the West side of the building. During the 60's, the Convent and Annex provided accommodation for 60 Sisters." (REF 1.)
(Copy of a photo hanging on the wall of the Convent in 2002.)
Note: For more information on the Convent of the Child Jesus see Blog
Photos: A series of black and white photos of details of the interior of the
building were taken in 2002 for the permanent collection at the North
Reference 1: Notes from meeting with Sister Denece Billesberger, 2002. Sister
Billesberger was the last remaining Sister of the Child Jesus living in the
Reference 2: Blueprints are on file at the North Vancouver Archives.