Knox Presbyterian Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The origins of Knox Presbyterian Church in North Vancouver were with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church also in North Vancouver in 1906. ( See Blog Post 11/18/12.) "Accordingly, the first General Meeting of the
Presbyterian congregation took place at the residence of Julius Martin Fromme at what is now 1466 Ross Road in Lynn Valley in the heart of
Shaketown, on October 20, 1908....Mr. J.M. Fromme gave the site for the building on the condition that the building be erected free of debt. (Link 2.)
"Having worshiped for three years in the Agricultural Hall at Lynn Valley, Presbyterian of that section of North Vancouver are now building themselves a permanent edifice.
"The new church will be erected at the junction of the Lynn Valley and the Center road. It will seat about 200 and will cost $2000. It will be of frame construction with plastered interior and wainscotted to the height of the window sills. The ceiling will be domed, and the windows of stained glass. It is expected that the building will be completed by the end of September. the present membership is about thirty..."(REF)
In 1925 the Knox Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada and became Lynn Valley United Church. The Methodist Church on Institute Road in Lynn Valley (See Blog Post 1/30/11) joined the Lynn Valley United Church as part of this amalgamation.
In 1959 a new Lynn Valley United Church was built on Mountain Highway. (See Blog Post 2/19/12.) At a Sunday worship service the congregation sung hymns as they marched from the building on Lynn Valley Road to the one on Mountain Highway. *
"The old Knox Presbyterian-United Church on the corner of Draycott and Lynn Valley Road was demolished 62 on January 3, 1967,... The
basement of the church served as a shop for the sale of plans, seeds and fertilizer. The stolid Manse in the rear of the property became the home of the
owner of the Nursery (Maple Leaf Garden Centre) which replaced the church on that site." (REF)
("Maple Leaf Garden Centre in North Vancouver is situated in the vibrant family oriented community of Lynn Valley with a view of the often snow covered North Shore Mountains. The site was once home to the Knox Presbyterian Church and its manse. In 1971 the Duynstees purchased the property which by then was operating as a small garden centre. At first the garden centre operated out of the basement of the church. In 1990-91 the site was completely renovated resulting in a new nursery, glass greenhouse and large store. Since then Maple Leaf has become a popular destination for gardeners inside and outside the community.") (Link 3.)
*As told to SW.
Reference: The Vancouver Daily Province, "Presbyterian Church at Lynn
Valley,"August 15, 1910.
Link 1: http://www2.cnv.org:8085/webcat/request/DoMenuRequest?
Link 2: http://www.dnv.org/upload/documents/District_History/181818.pdf
Link 3: http://www.mapleleafgardencentre.ca/about/