North Vancouver, B.C.
"Since its organization in New York in 1830, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has had a presence in Canada. The first Latter Day Saint missionaries to preach outside of the United States preached in Upper Canada; the first stake to be established outside of the U.S. was the Alberta Stake; and the Cardston Alberta Temple was the first church temple to be built outside of the current boundaries of the United States.
"As of January 1, 2011, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reported 182,415 members, 47 stakes, 325 wards, 5 districts, 155 branches, 8 missions, 7 temples, and 163 Family History Centers, in Canada." (Link.)
There are 10 churches in the greater Vancouver area with the first temple built in the suburb of Langley in 2010.
|131. Vancouver British Columbia|
However, the congregation met in Vancouver at Prince Albert Ave. and 14th Street until 1946 when they moved to the North Shore. As meeting halls they used the FOE Hall in lower Lonsdale, the IOOF Hall on Keith Road, and the Masonic Hall also on lower Lonsdale. Ground breaking for the church at 941 Lynn Valley Road was in 1962. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on Lynn Valley Road opened on Sept. 6, 1964. (*)
The original building consisted of the Chapel (see right side of the top photo) and the north wing. The north wing (see left side of the top photo) was made up of specialized classrooms, a kitchen, and meeting rooms. One of the meeting rooms contained the Baptismal Font for full immersion baptism.
The Sunday Services includes a worship service in the Chapel followed by group meetings in individual rooms. The Sunday congregation numbers from 100-200. "The teens meet five days a week (except holidays) for seminary (religion class)." (*)
Service groups includes monthly collecting of donations to the Food Bank from the community. The women of the church also meet to make kits for Relief Projects.
Thank you: To Bishop Ivan Ng and Brother Cordell Rolfson and
Sister Marilyn Rolfson and *Norma Pollack.
Photos: Taken in May 2014 by SW.