1044 St. Georges Avenue
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
St. Andrew's United Church at 1044 St. George's Avenue in the City of North Vancouver was built in 1912 as St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The architects were Alexander and Brown. However, in 1903 the first St. Andrew's congregation met in Dorman's Shack (See Blog Post 9/2/12.) on East 13th Street and Lonsdale Avenue. The first church they built was in 1904 and located on East 6th Street facing Victoria Park. (See Blog Post 11/18/12.) The "newest" church built in 1912 is the one we see today, a shingle-clad adaptation in the Gothic Revival style.
In the early 1970's there was some talk of the St. Andrew's United Church being demolished and an apartment building being built on the site. The church would continue at that address, but in the street floor of the new building. This idea was never carried out.
Directly behind the church and across the lane to the north is the St. Andrew's United Education Centre. Here over the years many programs have been provided for the community. In the 1970's there was the Margaret Fulton Centre, an adult day care to give a daytime break to adult children caring for senior parents that benefited from supervision. To the east of the Church Hall is St. Andrew's Park, a children's park where in recent years an annual Teddy Bear's Picnic has been held. From the front steps of the church you can look down St. George's Avenue right to the blue waters of Burrard Inlet.
Today the inspiring church spire of St. Andrew's continues to act as a witness to the Christain Community in North Vancouver.
Book: Heritage Inventory, City of North Vancouver 1994.
Reference: St. Andrew's United Church, North Vancouver, 1925-1975 a history
by J.S. Terry. Available at the North Vancouver City Library.
Photos: Exterior photo taken March 2002 by SW. Interior photos taken
January 2011 by SW.
Black and White photos taken in 2004 on file at the North Vancouver
Color photo taken for the Y2K Project on file at the North Vancouver