Deep Cove, North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
"Deep Cove refers to both the community in the eastern most part of the District of North Vancouver, in British Columbia, Canada, and also the geographic name of the small bay beside the town. It is affectionately referred to as "The Cove" by local residents. Located at the foot of Mount Seymour, Deep Cove faces due east, fronting onto Indian Arm, a branch of the Burrard Inlet.
Panorama Park, Deep Cove
"Deep Cove became a popular summer resort for Vancouver residents in the 1910s, with cabins, logging and granite quarrying featuring in the local history. For many years, the focal point of the community included a yacht club, dance hall and general store.
"The population slowly grew in the 1960s and 1970s, when access to the area improved following the completion of the Second Narrows Bridge to Vancouver in 1960. However, Deep Cove held on to its rural feel, and a large, open horse paddock sat adjacent to Gallant Avenue (the main street) in this period. Today, the Cove remains a popular attraction in the District..." (See Link 1.)
"The first group of Anglicans met in 1940 in the back of a grocery store on Gallant Avenue." (Reference.) This store later became the Bike Shop and most recently Deep Cove Outdoors. The property is now being proposed for development. "This evening service consisted of 12 people, seven of them belonging to the Rawlings family. When the community hall was built in 1940, the congregation moved there... Mr. Naughton, a real estate agent in the Cove, donated the property on Deep Cove Rd. (1384) for St. Simon's Anglican Church... The congregation members literally got out and dug the foundations for their building. This consisted of one floor... But the building was too small, so the congregation once again got busy and dug out a basement so a lower floor could be added." (Reference.) The people of Deep Cove worshiped in this Anglican Church named St. Simon's until the year 2004.
"The parish was formerly named St. Simon’s Deep Cove. Its priest and several members of the congregation left the Anglican Church of Canada in 2004 over the issue of same sex blessings. The next year they turned the building over to diocesan officials and have set up shop in a school outside the Deep Cove neighbourhood. However they kept the name “St. Simon’s,” which caused a great deal of confusion in the local community.
"St. Clare-in-the-Cove is now the official name of the Anglican Church of Canada parish in the Deep Cove neighbourhood at the eastern end of
"The Rev. Carla McGhie, priest in charge of St. Clare-in-the-Cove, said her parish explored the possibility of a more descriptive name, and many suggestions were advanced. However none felt right, she said.
St. Clare-in-the-Cove, Sanctuary
“By selecting a saint’s name we made the clear statement we would like to have a name that links us specifically with our Christian heritage and tradition.”
"The place name, “in-the-Cove” was included to affirm that the church values its location. “It’s such a special and incredibly beautiful setting.
The Labyrinth (See Link 3.)
"In our own parish visioning we give high priority to living in meaningful community,” said McGhie, “offering service and care to those in need, developing as a strong spiritual center, and being creative and innovative within our time.” (See Link 2.) The Labyrinth reaches out to members of the surrounding community. (See Link 3.)
Note: Suzanne Wilson attended the 11:30 am Sunday Service March 27th, 2011. The intimate congregation of 20, including 4 children met on the semi circle of chairs at the front of the narthex. Some chair backs were draped with liturgical purple fabric. The cross was draped for the Lenten season. The service led by the Rev. McGhie was reverently casual with joyous hymn singing. Everyone entering in the easy discussion which was part of the sermon based on the day's scripture led by the Rev. McGhie seated as part of the congregation. To receive communion the congregation formed a circle around the altar, joining hands for the final prayer. Thank you to the Rev. McGhie and the congregation of St. Clara-in-the-Cove for this inspiring worship experience. God bless them all.
Note: For Sale sign observed by SW October 2012.
As of February 2014 bought by The Bridge (See Blog Post 3/17/13.) for
office space at this time.
and June 2014.
by Suzanne Wilson
Reference: Echoes Across the Inlet, page 116.
Link 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Cove,_North_Vancouver
Link 2: http://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/News/tabid/27/Mode/ViewArticle/ArticleId/485/Default.aspx
Link 3: http://www.stclareinthecove.org/Welcome.html