"Alameda is a city in Alameda County, California, United States. It is located on Alameda Island and Bay Farm Island, and is adjacent to Oakland in the San Francisco Bay. The Bay Farm Island (also known as Harbor Bay) portion of the city is adjacent to the Oakland International Airport. At the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 72,259.
"The island that Alameda occupies was originally a peninsula connected to Oakland...The city was founded on June 6, 1853...Alameda became a charter city and adopted a council-manager government in 1916." (Link 1.)
"Preparations to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864 when all Protestants residing in hamlets of the Oakland peninsula known now as Alameda attended the Methodist church. By 1865, the Presbyterian Church had 12 charter members that were meeting in the schoolhouse, having paid their "rent" by purchasing a bell for the school. In 1867 Rev. Nash was installed as the first "non-traveling" pastor.
"Under Rev. Nash’s leadership, the purchase of land and erection of the first sanctuary building, then located at the current corner of Central and Versailles Avenues, was accomplished. The new church was dedicated on March 8, 1869 and the congregation grew quickly. A Sunday School building was added and soon as many as sixty children received their Christian education in the building. A parsonage was built nearby on Versailles to house a succession of pastors who led the congregation.
"By 1883, the church membership had outgrown the original sanctuary building. The city’s population center was expanding towards the western end of the peninsula and the sandy roads made travel difficult for new members to attend. These factors motivated the congregation members to begin raising funds to purchase land and build a new sanctuary in a more central location.
"In preparation of the sanctuary¹s centennial, the exterior of the sanctuary was painted and the stained glass windows were cleaned and repaired by the congregation in 2003. Partial funding provided by PROPOSITION 12 California Heritage Fund Grant Program was used to restore the church facade.
"Centennial celebrations were held at the beginning of September 2003 and culminating in a time capsule ceremony on Easter Sunday 2004. Extensive interior renovations were completed in 2005." (Link 2.)
Link 2: http://www.alamedachurch.com/