North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The first worship service of this church was held in October 1910. In early November, 1910 the church became a mission of St. John's Anglican Church, North Vancouver (See Blog Post 9/30/12.). And later in November 1910 the name of the church was officially St. Thomas Anglican Church. (For more on this building see blog post 3/12/14.)
This first service was held in a small rented hall on the north-west corner of Lonsdale Avenue and Queens Road in North Vancouver District. The building was built by Thomas S. Nye as a warehouse to store building materials. In 1918 it was purchased for $800 by the church congregation, then enlarged.
"...the parish was officially rededicated on Nov. 11, 1919, to St. Martin of Tours "in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martins Day in 1918, to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. (REF 1.)
St. Martin's Anglican Church continued to meet in the Thomas Nye warehouse for 13 years. (The hall ran parallel to Queens Rd. with the entrance on Lonsdale Ave. and the altar at the west end. REF 4.) "The last service was held at this location on the 1st Sunday in September, 1923" (REF 3.) In 1927 it was sold for $300 and became a builder' supply store. (REF 3.) "It is the current location of a gas station at the corner of Lonsdale and Queens." (REF 2.)
"In June 1921 two lots (The cost was $850.-REF 3.) on East Windsor Road were purchased to build a parish hall (The cost was $1800-REF 3.) for the community. The hall was opened in early 1922, and by 1923 this former parish hall became a temporary church. (With the altar located at the east end-REF 3.)
(North Vancouver Archives Photo # 6333)
The entrance to the chancel (the rood) is a dark wood frame topped by the words "God So Loved The World". Above this message is a carved crucifix. On the left is a small choir loft and exposed organ pipes. The organ is on the right.
A brass cross, once at St. John's School Chapel, sits on the altar. (REF 4.) Stained glass windows are on the walls to the right and left.
In 1989 the church was renovation for $250,000. The architect was Brian Sim and the construction company was Leyland Construction. During the renovation Sunday worship services were held in the church hall. (REF 6.)
Reference 6: The Vancouver Sun, 'Pulpit', January 11, 1989.
Reference 7: North Shore Historical Society, "The Stained Glass Windows of St. Martin's Church", Irene Alexander, June 2002.