East 13th Street at Lonsdale Avenue
North Vancouver, B.C., Canada
New churches often begin in the homes of their parishioners. This was true of St. John's Anglican Church in 1890 in North Vancouver, B.C. However, when the congregation outgrew the living rooms of these homes they then moved to an existing building. In North Vancouver, B.C. this building was called "Dorman's Shack".
A reference to a building on the corner of East 13th Street and Lonsdale Avenue can be found in the 1885 City Directory at the North Vancouver Archives. It is described as a "shack on 13th...15 feet square...with a capacity of 25 people." It was referred to as Dorman's Shack. Frank Dorman was a brick manufacturer and had a brickyard at Roche Point in North Vancouver. Even as late as 1910 the Fire Insurance Map shows a "shack" on 13th St. at Lonsdale. (See map above with Dorman's Shack in red.)
In 1903 the Presbyterian Church also held its first service in Dorman's Shack. (St. Andrews United Church Sunday Bulletin, Feb., 26th 1978. See Blog Post 1/9/11.) In 1904 they built St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on 100 block of East Lower Keith Road. And in 1912 they built St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on the corner of East 10th and St. George's Avenue. in 1925 this church became St. Andrew's United Church of Canada. Those Presbyterian's that didn't want to join the United Church moved to the Oddfellows Hall in the old 6th Street Methodist Church on the south-west corner of East 6th Street and St. George's Avenue. Then in 1934 they built another church at 121 East 12th Street. In 1952 they joined the St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church congregation to form the St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian church on West 27th and Chesterfield Avenue. (See Blog Post 3/3/13.)
Photo: Taken of 1910 Fire Insurance Map at the North Vancouver Archives
Reference: Faithful People of God, the first century of the Parish of St. John's
North Vancouver, by Beth Lawrence.
Note: Entire history of St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church, see Blog Posts:
1900 Church (1978 Anne MacDonald Hall), 9/9/12.